Thanks for checking this out...

Ta muchly for visiting. Here you will find musings, ramblings and a few statements of fact. They say women can have it all, motherhood, careers and crazy social lives. But what if we don't want it all? What if we want some of it sometimes and other bits not so often? Here I'll mix and match as the whims and energy levels take me. Your tuppence worth is always welcome!

The mask...

The mask...
Life is for loving and living no matter what it involves...

Monday 7 November 2011

Dulce et decorum est ut dico a nosey alio impetro lost

We may be approaching poppy day which is why this bit of Latin sprung to mind, but I've appropriated a spot of Wilfred Owen for my own ends I'm afraid. Roughly translated this means 'Sweet and honoured it is to tell a nosey person to get lost' and it is far, far, far more polite than the actual exchange that took place. I wouldn't want to raise a blush to innocent cheeks!

What could irk me so much to hurl such insults you may wonder. Well, wonder no more for I shall reveal all...

Any person with a small child will tell you that some days the gods simply are not on your side; nope, they are actively huddled against you, gazing down from the sky in heartless delight at your growing despair and waning sanity. They are revelling in your misfortune. Such a day happened to me last week. It all started when the pushchair broke the day before. Transporting toddler girl and my wee man to nursery the next day became an epic journey of Herculean proportions. A mere 20 minute amble turned into a 50 minute slog from hell, accompanied by suitable wails, screams and flailing limbs - and that wasn't all coming from toddler girl. Meanwhile my wee man was being patient and sweet, polar opposite of his sister who flung herself face down on the pavement, ran into gardens and to cap it all removed her clothes repeatedly.
The full force of toddler girl fury was unleashed...

It was in a state of semi undress (no cardi, no coat just a short sleeved dress) on a cold autumn morning, face contorted with wails of protest, as I attempted to safely get her across a rather busy road, that the incident happened. A lady, late fifties, clearly well to do, decided she knew better than me how to handle my children. So she opted to turn her car around and drive over to me, pull up, wind down her window and inform me that 'maybe your child would be happier if you dressed her properly, put a coat on her'. Said coat was dangling useless in my hand, repeated attempts to get the damn thing on toddler girl had ended badly; there are only so many battles you can take on in one morning. Next to me stood wee man, suitably wrapped up against the weather - clearly I knew how to do it - it was obvious toddler girl wasn't co-operating. What right did this woman have to vent  her unasked for wisdom on me? So she got the full throttle of my angst and frustration, which was phrased more delicately than I'd have liked thanks to the presence of the wee ones.  My tirade ended with 'look, she has a coat you nosey old cow'. Which I thought was quite mild in the circumstances.

People at the bus stop opposite made the unfortunate choice to gawp, and they too experienced my wrath, "anyone else care to comment on how I raise my children?" I yelled to ducking heads and averted eyes. Nope, good. Then let us continue on our way.

The good folk at their nursery were most kind on seeing my distraught face. Tea & sympathy followed - when wee man piped up "she was a nosey old cow wasn't she mummy?" tension released into smiles and the day improved dramatically. But I still bought a new pushchair on the way home!

1 comment:

  1. Poor you, my lovely, and what outright cheekiness! How dare she!? I think you did well not to lose it completely, and thankfully the nursery were good to you - big hugs all round and well done Seth for not joining in :) ah, they're both great! Big hugs and hope to see you soon xxxx ps. in a parallel realm you could have stopped her and told how bad her driving was...or summat parallelly like that?!

    ReplyDelete